Friday, December 16, 2011

Top Ten Things About a Bum Knee

"Dear God,
I'm sure you're getting sick of my negativity.  My whiny attitude over this whole knee incident.  So I've decided that the best thing to do is to come up with a list of the Top Ten good things about having a bum knee.  I'm making the conscious decision to go positive.  And I know I've already thanked you several times, but thanks again that my surgery went well and I'm officially on the mend! You are the God of restoration, the great healer!  Amen!"

So here it is...

Top Ten Things About Having a Bum Knee:

10.  Lots of pain med induced sleep.
 9.  I don't have to go to the grocery store
 8.  I don't have to take my kids to school or run them around
 7.  I don't have to clean my house, do laundry, cook, or make my bed
 6.  I can't go upstairs, so I don't have to tuck my kids into bed (or wake them up)
 5.  Because of the timing, I don't have to shop, cook, decorate, or wrap for the holidays
 4.  I don't have to go to my kids holiday programs
 3.  Crutches are pretty handy when it comes to reaching things such as lightswitches, tops of curtains  (making it easier to open/close them), and doors when they're not fully closed.
 2.  I got to ride one of those scooters at Target
 1.  I've had LOTS of time to think and pray

Okay, so you're either reading my list and thinking that sounds like a dream come true, or you're thinking that's just sad.  It's both.  The list is true, these are the best things I can come up with for having a bum knee - or probably any physical ailment for that matter.  But these things are only good for about 3 days!  I'm going on my 6th week and have at least a month of physical therapy ahead of me - Ugh!

Making this list was supposed to lift my spirits, you know - looking at the bright side and all.  But when I finished, it had the opposite effect.  See, I really do like to these things.  I like to tuck my kids into bed and wake them up.  I like to drive them places.  I like to make sure they and my husband are well fed.  I don't really like housework, but I like the result and the feeling of accomplishment.  And if I'm being totally honest - I never make my bed anyway (stop your judging)!

This list represents my job and I have the best job in the world!  I don't like it when I can't perform my job.

And come on - who doesn't like to watch their kids "perform" in their various recitals...I really love it!  And you know what else I love...CHRISTMAS!!!  I love to go shopping, I love to pick out a tree and decorate it (and the house), I love to make cookies and other typical holiday foods.  I love to wrap presents.  I love to do all things Christmas-y!  But this year I haven't had the ability or the energy to do any of these things.  I've participated some, but not with the enthusiasm that I usually have!

#10 is good in that I definitely like to sleep...but I like to wake up with a clear head, a settled stomach, and no pain.  Pain meds pretty much make that impossible.  Even the "pain" part because they've worn off by the time you wake up!  Sure - you can set your alarm to take them, again negating any "good" sleep you were hoping to get.

Crutches actually do come in handy for a few things, but they are more of a pain than anything.  And riding the scooter at Target was pretty fun, but the basket is too small, you can't reach anything high, and it's super embarrassing when you have to back-up because it beeps REALLY loud and everyone stops to stare at you to see if you're going to run-over anything or anyone!  You just know they're hoping that you do!

The only thing on this list that's actually been any good (and that's why it's #1) is the time I've had to think and pray.  It's helped me to reflect on my life and see how much I take for granted!  I meant all of the things that I put on this list (to a certain degree) because it's hard to appreciate them all on a day-to-day basis.  Or even a yearly basis (as with the holiday stuff) when you're so busy it's hard to squeeze them into your schedule.  I hope I never forget the hardships of this year and always remember how great my life really is!  Thank you God for reminding me!  I have great hope in you for 2012!

Merry Christmas to you all!!!

0 comments:

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates